Friday, February 6, 2009

The development of a painting


Here's the beginning of a painting I'm very excited about. I've already named it "Moonlight Romance". January and February are breeding season months for the red fox. We have a few on the farm. They leave a strong skunky odor this time of year which is very potent when I snowshoe with the dogs everyday in the woods and fields. They're also more visable this time of year and I frequently hear them barking for one another at dusk.
I've always wanted to paint a moonlit painting so I guess this will be the first one. These two foxes are running through the snow looking down at a village where there will be orange lights shining through the windows. Overhead is the moon casting a glow over the river. The New Meadows River runs behind our home and frequently I see the river moonlit late at night. It's beautiful! I have even seen foxes in the snow at this time.
This sketch has taken a long time to finish. Composing a painting can take as long as the painting itself. I usually use photographs but ended up just drawing the foxes the way I wanted them to run. As you can see, I couldn't decide where to put the moon. That's still a decision I have to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment