Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How to personalize your commissioned painting






Here is a perfect example of how to personalize your commissioned painting. My clients wanted portraits of both dogs and weren't sure what they wanted for a background. I suggested their yard or a favorite play spot . They take their dogs to a specific park for a daily run so I took photos of their dogs at their home and the park . When discussing the park photos with my clients I learned the pond, red barn and dogwoods were important to them. I took a bit of artistic license and composed the painting so that all of these were incorporated into the background with the dogs. Although it was an overcast and rainy February day when I took my reference photos I knew the client wanted more of a spring like painting so I added the daffodils, dogwood trees in bloom along with a sunny day.

1 comment:

  1. This piece is lovely Beth.
    I paint occasional pet portraits and also find this approach to be good. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete