Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tame Grouse


This is a tame wild grouse, if that makes any sense. We found him in our neighboring woods last fall. He would follow us everywhere getting within a few feet of us. He would greet me everytime I entered the woods. The deer hunters as well. Over the winter I found a pile of grouse feathers and was afraid it was him but to my delight I was walking the "bird" dogs a few days ago and there he was, crossing my path within a few feet of Whiska, my Griffon, and myself! I thought she was going to have a heart attack she was shaking so much. He seemed totally unconcerned and continued to hang out with us, chirping to us the whole time. I'm hoping to get another photo of him for he's matured a lot since this photo was taken. I can't believe he's survived the winter. We have so many coyotes, owls, and fox. Just amazing.

3 comments:

  1. I just came upon your blog and wanted to let you know that we have a tame wild ruffed grouse, too! S/he comes up to talk and gets up on the porch step while we sit there. Looks like it wants to get in a lap! Btw we're in Georgetown, Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my video I shot of the grouse and put up on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRihdvNUvk&feature=channel_page

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guesss that won't go as a whole link (you'll have to type it in) and it goes off the page, so here goes again:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRihdvNUvk&feature=
    channel_page
    Or just go to YouTube and search for Gretel the Grouse!

    ReplyDelete